One of my favorite thing’s about Fall time is all the yummy food and treats. Pumpkin, apples, cocoa, caramel, chai, and soup are definitely the top ones! Sometimes the recipes for these foods are really complicated or time consuming, but this one isn’t. It did take a little bit longer than usual with the different steps but it was totally worth it. They turned out very good, everyone in my family loved them! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did and have fun making it!
Caramel Apple Bites
1/3 cup finely chopped unpeeled apple
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 package (14 oz.) caramels
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened; set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg.
Beat in vanilla.
Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
3. Shape dough into 1-in. balls.
Flatten and place 1/4 teaspoon filling in center of each. Fold dough over filling and reshape into balls.
Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
5. In a small saucepan over low heat, cook caramels and evaporated milk until caramels are melted; stir until smooth.
Insert a toothpick into each cookie and dip into caramel until completely coated; allow excess to drip off.
Dip bottoms into nuts. Place on wire racks to set. Yield: about 3 dozen.